Gerard Puter has updated the Virtual ][ Emulator to version 6.4. The biggest change to the program is that this version of Virtual ][ will be the first version which is totally dedicated to the Apple Intel platform. Most of the changes and feature fixes in version 6.4 are oriented around moving totally to the Intel platform and getting the most out of its performance. The main changes in the program according to Gerard’s posting on the Virtual ][ website are:
- Dropped support for Mac OS X 10.4 and the PowerPC processor. The program now requires an Intel Mac running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or better.
- Added a feature to change the write protection and volume number of disk images.
- It is now possible to configure a 65C02 processor in an Apple ][ or ][+ virtual machine.
- When choosing “Copy as Text” from the Edit menu, international characters on the screen are now correctly copied to the Mac clipboard.
- Improved the quality of the QuickLook preview and thumbnail of a saved state file.
- Some custom character sets were not accepted by the virtual machine – this has been fixed.
- Fixed a number of minor issues, thereby improving the overall stability of the program.
Virtual ][ is one of the few Apple ][ emulators that has a compete set of features including Print to PDF, large floppy capability, complete machine and card control through the control panel as well as variable speed control.
The Virtual ][ Emulator is shareware and can be purchased at the Virtual ][ website for $49 for the full package. For more information about the features of the Virtual ][ emulator, go to: