Paris, March 3rd, 2013 – Brutal Deluxe Software is proud to announce Mr Sprite, a command-line tool to manage sprites and to simplify the integration of sprites into Apple IIgs games.
Programmers spend a lot of time to prepare Sprites sheets :
– You have to prepare both Even and Odd aligned version of the Sprite,
– You have to organize your Sprites into 320×200 pictures to put as many Sprites as you can, trying to minimized lost space
– You have to prepare the Mask sheets
– You have to record Width / Height for each sprite and the Offset (address) of the sprite in the Sprite sheet
– And, Finaly, you have to write the most efficient code to display the sprite on the Apple IIgs graphic page !
Of course, if you want to add a new Sprites or modify an existing ones, you may have to re-do everything 🙁 As a programmer perspective, the only thing we would like to do is to call a function namedDrawSprite(sprite_id, screen_address), with only 2 parameters : the sprite identification number and the address of the screen where to display it. MrSprite is here to simplify programmers life by providing a full set of fonctionnality including automtatic Sprite detection / Sprite alignment / Reverse & Flip effect / Sprite compiler / Direct 65c816 code object output… and more !
Mr Sprite is part of the Brutal Deluxe’s Cross Developpement Tools Project, a full set of utilities available on Windows (and other) platforms to enable the creation of new Apple IIgs software : 65c816 Assembler, 65c816 Desassembler, 65c816 Simulator, Graphic File Converter, Resource Catcher…
The Source code is freely available for anyone asking for it. The program currently only runs on Windows. Macintosh and Linux releases are planned.