The latest version of the popular Macintosh based Virtual ][ emulator has been released. Version 6.3.6 has a number of changes including:
* The program now accepts “dsk” image files with 41 tracks (the maximum so far was 40).
* A recent Snow Leopard upgrade broke the “Make Movie from Apple II Screen” feature. This has been fixed.
* Cassette tape files now get file name extension “cass” instead of “aif”. As a result, the cassette tape icon appears correctly again in Snow Leopard. Old “aif” files can still be read.
Some Key features of the program include:
* Emulates the Apple ][, ][+ and //e
* Supports USB game pad and joystick
* Store a running machine and resume later on
* Full-screen mode
* Epson FX-80 and Imagewriter II emulation
* Many configurable peripheral cards
* Realistic sound effects, including Mockingboard emulation
* Convert original Apple II diskettes
* Index your Apple II disk images
* Debug Apple II programs
This emulator has evolved nicely over many versions released by the author, Gerard Puter. He has added more features with each resulting version, making this one of the top Apple ][ emulators available today.
The software is shareware with the full version of the emulator costing USD $49.95 and is well worth the purchase.
A.P.P.L.E. Rating: 5 of 5 apples